Sunday, May 10, 2015

Afterlove

I did not like a novel in the past. I felt it would increase no knowledge, or concrete knowledge. A Khmer senior in my university recommended this novel to me and at the same time gave me this book. That is how I got to read this book and it changed my view on novels in general.

The story begins with a family of happiness, a solid marriage, caring husband and wife with two children and satisfying careers. Then all of a sudden, a tragedy left the wife all alone. They are all dead except the wife. One can imagine how afloat she becomes, attempting even to commit suicide.

Then she resorts to superstition. She wants to meet them the last time. It happens that she might be able to do so. In the process, her life is changed. That is the interesting part.

The story is full of sadness and romance but no comedy. You don’t expect jokes in romance, do you?

Conundrums
Do you believe in reincarnation? What would happen to a person after he/she dies? These kinds of questions never end with answers but more questions. The author deals with this issue in his very neutral way. He would say yes and no at the same time. But what more important are what you believe and choose to do in your life, instead of finding out the true answer to those questions.

Full title: Afterlove
Author: Robert Rosenblum
Publisher: Onyx (February 3, 2004)
My rating: 4.5/5

 
Copyright © . Tisa School - Posts · Comments
Theme Template by BTDesigner · Powered by Blogger